Friday, August 10, 2007
World War Hulk
I read World War Hulk #3 a couple of days ago and am troubled by the mini's progress. I'm having the same experience with World War Hulk as I had with Civil War: excited by the concept, first issue is exciting, second issue is cool, third issue things look like they aren't going to play out well. Civil War ended stupidly, Captain America's surrender was obviously a move to allow more Avengers books to be published. Other than that, there were no substantial effects from the story. Captain America's death wasn't even directly incorporated into Civil War. World War Hulk looks like it will end in a similarly uninspired fashion, the Hulk will turn back into Banner and the 616 universe will continue without any change. I think the problem with these stories is in their premises. These books' promised events, major characters fighting each other to the death, can't be delivered in mainstream comics; Marvel will never kill Wolverine or the Fantastic Four, and we all know that Captain America is not dead. Astonishing X-Men is an example of a successful mainstream comic. The characters are actually in character and the stories at once exist in continuity while subtly introducing new characters and ideas. Which isn't to say that I wouldn't enjoy World War Hulk if its premise was carried out properly: the Hulk kills the Illuminati and anyone who tries to stop him and Thor or the Silver Surfer arrives and kills the Hulk. Oh well, there is always The Ultimates and X-Statix to reread.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
People should read this.
Post a Comment